Extensions Blog Press Contribute Forum FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support About
Forum FAQ Videos Changelog Bio Contact

Anonymous Users No Notifcations?

For a while now I have thought that there was some fault I wasn't figuring out. I LOVE your extensions and feel they were a long time needed. It was really great to find them!

I have gone through the forum posts trying to figure out why I wasn't getting notifications when my pal would edit a doc we were working on together. I have reinstalled... updated... done it all. 

I was getting notifications periodically for other files when someone worked in them but it felt very inconsistent. It dawned on me yesterday, one specific friend usually doesn't log into GDrive, he just works anonymously and moves on.

Can you confirm my suspicion that this is the reason why I'm not seeing notifications when he modifies a file? If that is the case, is there any way to work around this? He's not the only person I work with that will pop in anonymously to edit a file when I need it.

Thanks so much for all of your work!

Comments

• So that is a good lead, I just reviewed the api i'm using and there's nothing related to anonymous users so in theory it should still work for them, but perhaps there are underlying errors due to the limited details of an anonymous user, if it happens again and you think you should have received a notification after a certain period but did not, can you then send me the error logs https://jasonsavard.com/wiki/Error_logs
  • I'll be able to recreate it later today when that specific friend comes online.

I have tested it with different settings in the past with him. Having him go in and make a change, then wait and nothing... But I know when a different friend goes in, logged in, I do get notifications and in real-time. I only clued into this idea yesterday.

Do I need to have the console open while I do things or will it log everything as the day goes on as long as I've got Dev mode on?
  • edited about six months ago
    No you can open it afterwards and it should show the last logs.
    Just wondering also are you using the standard my drive or Team Drives?
  • edited about six months ago
    This was after my friend accessed the one file. The log file is attached as well. He told me he accesses the file typically through the Docs App on his phone, not Google Drive specifically. Not sure if that would make a difference.

• ok thanks, but I didn't see the attached log file?
  • Huh, it didn't take the first time... Sorry. Here it is.
  • ok thanks, i might have found the issue, but to be certain can you enable this extension option highlighted in red below, and then have your anonymous user do some changes again (I know the option seems unrelated, but it might trigger a workaround for now)

• Done and done. This time I did get a notification. I have tested this in the past, though so it's strange. I watched, he was showing as anonymous... In any case, hope this gives you something to go by. :)
  • ok good news, i've pushed a new update with the default option set on to show anonymous modifications, you can reinstall the extension to force v7.5.12 or wait for it.
  • Thanks so much! I was away all weekend but have it reinstalled now and can't wait to see those notifications poppingup ;)
  • It is simply perfect! Thank you so much for this fix and the speed of it at that!
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!