Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos About Contact

Show a warning before videos get too long

Hi Jason,

I recorded a 15 minutes video.

I stopped the recording and wanted to save it to drive.

However, I received an error that the video somehow was too long.

The editor crashed, and I had no way of recovering the video.

I had to manually recorded if off the screen using my smartphone.

Thus, my proposal to show a warning when a video gets too long.

Comments

• How often does this happen?

Does it only happen for long videos, what's your usual video length?

• I would say out of 10 videos, two are having some issues after recording that makes the videos unrecoverable.

Average length is max 5 minutes.

This 15 minutes video was a rare exception.

The weird thing is when those issues happen, I can still play those videos just fine as long as I don't reload or close the tab.

However, I have no way of saving/rescuing them locally.

The context menu entry to save the video is greyed out.

• Which context menu entry is grayed out?

Because you should be presented with these options after the recording is stopped...

• I am talking about this option which is greyed out when the editor crashes for one reason or another.

• Ok 2 questions, does your machine have lot of memory of free disk space?

And how can the editor crash and yet you still have access to the context menu?

• Yes, my machine does have enough memory and disk space. This should not the problem.

I click stop sharing

The editor opens in a new tab

On this tab I then get an error, for example that the video was too long.

I have no way of recovering the video.

None of those buttons work:

And when I perform a right mouse click on the video, I cannot save it either.

In this example it works because I didn't get any error.

• Ok i'll queue this for investigation, obviously a bit tricky given the recording lengths that need to be tested, for now I would limit the length of your videos, but I would be curious what is the exact threshold.

• Thanks!

Is there a way you can think of that allows downloading/rescuing the video locally when an error occurs after finishing the recording?

• edited June 4

I haven't encountered this, so I can't answer before I investigate, but I'll try to prevent it in the first place.

• Great, thanks!

Can't you try to reproduce it by creating a long video such as I did?

It should then crash and show you that it is impossible to recover/download the video.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!