Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos About Contact

Weird dot under the notification sign

Hi, I am using Checker Plus for Gmail and I have encountered the following problem after the update 25.0.8.1. On each tab there is a blue dot under the regular notification sign. If I put the pointer onto the sign it says "Permission needed", even though the extension functions perfectly, all the Gmail accounts are logged in and synchronized. If I click the extension, the dot immediately vanishes, but only until I open a new tab. While I'm on the new tab, the dot appears again. If I return to the old tab, where I have already clicked onto the extention, the dot doesn't appear. I have not found any information about it in FAQ and forum, so it seems for me that it is a bug. Anyway, I would appreciate to know how to make this blue dot disappear forever.

Comments

• Maybe I should add that I use Firefox 122.0.1 (64-bit) on Linux.

• I'm having the same problem. I wanted to add that when checking the permission tab for this extension, all permissions have been allowed and the dot still shows.

Firefox 122.0.1 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 22.04

• @felipe.castillo So I can tell you that there is no code in my extension to produce a dot :)

So most likely a new Firefox behaviour indicating something about the tab, you can try googling and see if anything makes sense, but it seems that this blue dot has been around before.

• @Jason Yes, the dot is added by Firefox. This is likely some change with the new manifest v3, or how extensions should ask for permissions. This also explains why loading a new page triggers the permissions code in Firefox and shows this.

This is also not the only extension that I have a problem with, and the other author hasn't reply to the bug report either.

I've attached a screenshot for reference, although I don't think it'll help. It's mostly for other people finding this thread.

• I think this bug report is what's happening:

There are some workarounds there, but probably none are optimal.

• edited February 20

@felipe.castillo Good finding, so go ahead and make some noise on that thread to push up it's priority so the Firefox team fixes it ;)

• I'm getting the same sort of issue, but I get a permanent green dot, every time I visit a new page, indicating that a permission needs to be re-granted to the extension, as shown here:

Looking into the context menu, it appears to be because permissions are permanently set to "only when clicked," which undoes itself after clicking onto a new page, so I have to open the extension over and over, to grant it those permissions.

• @Jason Thank you very much for the prompt replies. You are doing really a great job with developing these extensions. As I have found out, one can grant permission to all websites: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/76083327/firefox-extension-manifest-v3-request-permission-to-access-your-data-for-all

May I know if I as user can do it? Or it needs to be added to the extension by developer?

• @viktor That can only be requested by the extension, and I would not implement that because of the security implications. Just star the issue to prioritize it for the Firefox team.

• For those that are using custom CSS in Firefox, here's a way to hide the green dot: https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/comments/1azyv0q/im_trying_to_hide_a_green_dot_under_an_extension/

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!