Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos About Contact

Pop-up notification re-appearing when marking email as unread

I use an email client (Outlook) on my machine, but prefer the notifications from Checker. When I mark an email as unread in Outlook, it gives another pop-up notification for that email.

Is that intended behavior, and if so, is that a setting I can change? Preferred behavior would be to only generate a notification when an email is received, to not notify again when marking as unread.

version/OS details:

Checker Plus for Gmail v25.0

Google Chrome version 121.0.6167.160

macOS Sonoma 14.1.1 (23B81)

Comments

• Hmm you shouldn't be getting a 2nd notification and there's lots of logic that uses times of the last email and only notifies you of more recently dated emails (aka new emails).

Can you systematically repeat this issue, by just marking as read/unread.

Are you using POP or IMAP to connect your outlook email to Gmail?

Can you also make sure this option is not checked.

• Hi Jason,

I have been facing this issue for over a week as well.

I am able to repeat this issue by marking emails as unread. It does take about 5 minutes for the popup to appear. However. I do not use Checker Plus for Outlook, I use it for Gmail.

The checkmark box noted in the above picture is not checked off. Please let me know what information you may need.

Checker Plus for Gmail Version 25.0.6

• edited February 18

@gbs Can you both force an extension update to the latest v25.0.8 and let me know if it still occurs: https://jasonsavard.com/wiki/Extension_Updates

• Updated to 25.0.8

It still occurs unfortunately. I was still able to replicate the issue again.

Attached is a screenshot of an email from yesterday being marked unread in my Gmail and showing up in a notification shortly after as if it were a newly received email. Perhaps this is how it has always been?

• edited February 18

@gbs Can you give some context so I can replicate this, are you using auto-detect or manual add? https://jasonsavard.com/wiki/Account_sign_in_methods

Which labels are you monitoring?

How many unread emails do you have?

and which position is this email which you mark as unread?

• edited February 20

Hi Jason,

I am using manual add for two accounts. Only monitoring Inbox for both of them.

Currently, 26 and 3 unread emails. The emails I mark unread start as both unread emails, which I visually read and want to keep unread, and older emails, which I marked unread.

While I was testing to see if it is still an issue, I noticed the extension had crashed previously. After restarting Chrome, it gave me a notification that I have 30 unread emails. I assume that is normal after a restart? I am not quite able to distinguish what is and isn't normal operating features.

Attached is a screenshot of both types of emails giving me a notification after being marked unread. These are not new emails. You will notice I received a notification for the second one on the 17th as well.

• @GabrielS Good news I've pushed a fix and it will be available in v25.0.9 in a few days.

• @Jason Wooo! Thanks for all the help Jason!

• @GabrielS Ok it's live live on the Chrome Store, you can force the update with this: https://jasonsavard.com/wiki/Extension_Updates

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!