Extensions Blog Press Contribute Forum FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support About
Forum FAQ Videos Changelog Bio Contact

Synchronise extension config

Hi, Thanks for creating a nice extension. The best part for me is Delete a mail from the notification because I receive a lot of 'notification' mails who can be deleted 95% of the time :)

Installed the extension yesterday. And now I'm at work, the extension is already installed through Chrome sync.

It would be very nice if you could implement sync of the extension config, so you don't have to configure everything on every new device.

http://developer.chrome.com/extensions/storage.html

Thanks in advance,
Bas

Comments

• Good news for you, I'm already testing out this is exact sync logic in my calendar extension first. It's presently been deployed to only 5% of my user base and I'm waiting to see the results, once successful in a week or 2 I will push it to all the calendar users. After than I will start implementing it in my gmail extension. Thanks for the feedback and the link.
  • Thanks. Good to hear!
  • edited November 2013
    Hi Jason. I figured I'd give you a quick heads up of this Chrome bug: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=261623

If a user uses System Restore, Chrome Storage in its entirety becomes unusable.

This has impacted quite a few users since I have switched from localStorage to Chrome Storage in ANTP. I get around 5-10 emails about it every day.

In my attempts to use the sync portion of the API in the past, also I found it to be pretty unreliable. Clients would sometimes never synchronize at all.
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks for the heads up, luckily I'm only using the Storage API for one option or I use it in batch for saving/loading all settings at once (currently testing that)

I also noticed the corruption and I use a try catch around the "chrome.storage.sync.get/set" methods and then redirect users to this page http://jasonsavard.com/wiki/Corrupt_browser_profile

and yes I also get a lot of traffic that page, but I've managed to avoid the redundant emails on this issue.

Actually I have a question about the Storage API... if a user Signs in and syncs his Chrome extensions on let's say a new chrome profile, will the sync Storage data be instantly available the automatic installation of the extension. I've noticed some syncing delays etc. when testing and hoping when it's live it should be instant.
  • Smart wrapping those methods in try/catch and redirecting to a fix page! I should definitely do similarly. The delays didn't seem to go away in my testing of the sync API; Chrome's synchronization seems to be pretty severely throttled. I also had 4 clients testing at the same time; some would get the changes immediately. Others didn't get them even after several hours. I couldn't use it for ANTP because of this exact reason; it would be too easy to have conflicts if clients can't reliably be in sync.
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!