Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos About Contact

Ad appearing on 1st line of inbox listing

Hello,

I have been using Web Ad Blocker on Chrome for a while now and I think it's great - no more of those annoying ads on the right-hand side of the screen when I am looking at my emails in Outlook.com (or OWA as it is also known). However, a couple of days ago I noticed an ad appearing on the top-line of my inbox listing (see screenshot below). Does WAB have the capability of getting rid of this really annoying effect? If not, is there any other utility which will do the same job?

Thanks very much, and keep up the good work of getting rid of nuisance advertising.

Alan Harris-Reid

Comments

• I'm currently not seeing them on my end, but I always encourage my users to combine my specific ad blocker with more general ones for a better experience.

• I am seeing the same thing: a single line email/ad, in bold/unread, at the top of my inbox listing. Hovering over the message doesn't display any origin details, there's no option to send to junk or forward, though it can be deleted ("Remove") but it doesn't go into the deleted file (just disappears) and is soon replace by another ad. It doesn't show any time or date in the Received column. Also, if left alone, the add changes periodically. It's not as annoying (yet) as the ads on the right hand side, but it would be good to get rid of it! Thanks.

• Thanks for the replies...

Jason

Are you using the free version of Outlook.com or the Office 365 version? I understand that it is only the free version that displays ads as part of the Inbox listing.

Also, when you say 'more general ones' - which other blockers do you have in mind?

Andy - Glad I am not the only one who has this problem. As a temporary fix I have switched on the 'Focussed Inbox' feature. This appears to put all genuine emails under the Focussed tab, and the ads are relegated to the Other tab. Not a perfect solution, but it will do for now.

Regards,

Alan

• I am using the free one, as for ad blockers any popular one will do, they are good at detecting ads or even allow you to right click and remove your own.

• Alan - thanks for your suggestion, I'm currently trying the "Focussed Inbox" feature, and while it does get rid of the annoying ad, as you mentioned, I'm finding I have to resist the urge to check the "Other" tab, to see what I might be missing!

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!