Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos About Contact

Recent Tabs - Getting "Control-Tab" working again on a Mac

I'm hooked on Recent Tabs. Historically I've used "Control-Tab" to toggle between my 2 most recent tabs. This is critical functionality for me. Another keyboard shortcut won't work.

After a recent laptop reinstall I had to reinstall the Chrome Extension and for some reason, one of my two chrome profiles lost the shortcut. I tried to restore it using the instructions that Jason has provided and it is not possible to wire up the "Control-Tab" shortcut (specifically anything using "tab") via the Chrome Extensions Keyboard Shortcuts UI. This made me sad.

Ever the curious critter, I found a way around the problem. It's relatively straightforward. There's a few steps:

* Set the keyboard shortcut in the way Jason describes. I set it to Ctrl + Y

* You need the extension ID. You can get this from chrome://extensions and then clicking on the Recent Tabs extension. If you look in the address bar you should find the ID. For me it was: ocllfmhjhfmogablefmibmjcodggknml. I'm unsure if that's universal but it appears to be.

* You need the location of your Chrome user Profile. For me it was at:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default

* In the profile directory you'll find a JSON file called Preferences. I dumped that file into jq so that it would pretty print and then I grepped it for the extension id and the lines that lead and trail it. A command like this will do the trick:

cat /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Preferences | jq . | grep -A4 -B4 ocllfmhjhfmogablefmibmjcodggknm

* If you read the output there you'll see something that looks like:

"mac:Ctrl+Y": {

"command_name": "toggleTabs",

"extension": "ocllfmhjhfmogablefmibmjcodggknml",

"global": false

},

* Exit Chrome

* I edited the file with vim and searched for "mac:Ctrl+Y" . When I found it I changed that to "mac:Ctrl+Tab"

* Restart Chrome

* Test out the Ctrl+Tab shortcut. It should work as expected.

I found that when I went back into the Keyboard Shortcut UI it still displayed the Ctrl+Y and when I restarted Chrome after that it had reset to Ctrl+Y . I had to repeat the process above to get it set up again. I believe that the setting persists across restarts of Chrome but that going into the Keyboard Shortcut UI overwrites the manually changed value. I'm unsure where the UI is getting/storing its value but will seek that out when I get some time.

This is a hack. But it works and it restored the functionality that I'd come to depend on.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!