Extensions Blog Press Contribute Forum FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support About
Forum FAQ Videos Changelog Bio Contact

Requires (and gains) access to web sites (unrelated to Gmail)

Hello,

I am using the latest version of the Checker Plus for Gmail. When I am at any tab of Chrome, including tabs unrelated to Gmail or even Google, and place the cursor over the icon of Checker Plus for Gmail, I get the message (translated from my language) "wants to access this website". When clicking on the icon (to check my Gmail), access in granted until I close the tab.

Why is the Checker requiring and getting access to tabs unrelated to Gmail? Other extensions I have installed do not display such messages. Is it a bug? If so, I think it should be fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you very much in advance, and regards.

Comments

• At some point you probably opted in for a feature within the extension that required more permissions. You can always reinstall the extension to return to the minimal permissions.

• Well, this is strange. I went to the configuration of the extension:

I have disabled "automatically grant access to the following web sites" (I am translating from my language).

And I have enabled the next line "https://mail.google.com/*" (with the previous line disabled).

The Checker is working (weird, because the first line is disabled) but with the same behaviour: it wants access to any web site, and gains it after clicking on the icon.

By the way, I have seen that the Checker for Calendar has the same behaviour.

Can anyone reproduce this? Is it maybe a Chrome issue?

Regards.

• Hi - I see the same behavior on all my computers. The extension barely functions on my work computer now - perhaps due to their security on my managed Google Chrome browser. I see no way to change the setting to stop allowing "access to this site" after clicking. Is there some reason this functionality is needed? I uninstalled and re-installed to no avail. It's uncomfortable - any way to address this w/o breaking functionality?

• @Steve Mecca Can you specify which site you are on when you click the extension icon that gives you the "access to this site".

• Hi Jason - when I mouse-over the extension icon, the pop-up says "wants access to this site" on any open tab on my browser (all with opened websites on them). I haven't seen any evidence of it being site-specific. It even happens when the Checker Plus for Gmail - options are open as chrome-extension://

• @Steve Mecca So this seems like a Chrome extension framework issue, as I haven't coded anything related to accessing sites that are not related to gmail. Interesting details about this occuring while the options page is open.

• edited September 23

I found that mouse-over phrase in this "error message" list?? I don't know how it fits in: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/chrome/app/generated_resources.grd . Strange - seems like a bug in the Chrome Framework, as you said. I can't even change the options for "This can read and change site data" when right clicking on the extension icon - only "When you click the extension" is an available option.

In any case - thanks for looking in to it.

• @Steve Mecca I just noticed you are using Chrome v86, the stable one is v85, this may also be a culprit.

• I'm using v85 on my other computers and have the same issue. I take it it's not happening on your own computer(s)? That would make it pretty hard to debug :-)

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!