Extensions Blog Press Contribute Forum FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support About
Forum FAQ Videos Changelog Bio Contact

Slow Popup Window

There is a small popup window which appears when the Google Checker plus icon is clicked that shows a preview of all unread messages in my Inbox. However, recently when I click this icon, it can take up to 10 seconds for the popup window to appear.

I am running the latest version of Chrome with MacOS X 10.14.6.

Comments

• Try reinstalling the extension.

• I have already tried this.

• As well as restarting the browser

• Are you using the default options after you reinstalled the extension?

Do you have a lot of other extensions?

• I have not changed the settings in any way since reinstalling.

I have 9 other active extensions, and 6 inactive.

• Do you have my other extensions, like calendar etc. how are they behaving?

• No, I don't have any of your other extensions.

• I'm going to monitor the situation, as of now I'm not getting any other reports from Mac users. Have you tried creating a test profile with no other extensions: https://jasonsavard.com/wiki/Chrome_issues

• edited August 8

I'm having the same problem. All of a sudden, the extension has been running very slowly. When I click on an email in the pop-up window, it takes upto 30 seconds sometimes for the email to load. I have tried reinstalling the extension, logging out of all my accounts and restarting my browser. I have not changed any of the extension's settings when this problem cropped up. Any ideas? Thanks!

• When you reinstalled the extension did you use the default settings (not restored any)

Have you changed any Chrome flags?

• I am also having the same issue: Popup window is very slow to load. I also see the same behavior when loading the options window. This is started about a month ago. I uninstalled/reinstalled the plug-in and performance returned to normal. Slowly over the last 2 weeks or so it has degraded. This morning I again uninstalled/reinstalled the plug-in and performance was back to expectations. I did not restore any setting during either install. I have since made changes to the setting for the notifications and other options but these are the setting that I have used since basically day one and match across multiple machines.

It does appear to be specific to a given machine. I do not have the performance issue on a VM I have or my laptop. This may not be a great case since those are Apple devices while the performance issues I have are on a Windows machine.

I have changed several Chrome Flags to enable/disable various features:

-Extensions Toolbar Menu: Disabled

-Tab Groups: Enabled

-Hardware Media Key Handling: Disabled

• @Mike Nowill Have you tried just restarting the browser instead of reinstalling the extension?

Does the performance degrade suddenly or slowly over time?

• @Jason Restarting the browser or rebooting the PC doesn't make a difference. I think its more of a sudden wall but it might be happening over time and I don't notice it until it hits a threshold.

• edited August 18

@Mike Nowill It seems some users get file/db corruption issues overtime perhaps it's Chrome's writing to drive, have you tried clearing OS temporary files and free up space or disk defrag. Honestly it's very difficult to determine and considering you seem like a power user given the flag changes, there maybe other system/chrome changes that are likely the culprit.

• @Jason Disk Defrag doesn't really matter on solid state drives but Windows is setup to optimize the drives weekly. I do not typical clear out the OS temporary files on any cadence.

While certainly anything is possible when it comes to the various flags being changed it seems unlikely given the 3 flags that have been changed. I would also expect the issue to present itself across machines if those flags are also set there which doesn't appear to be the case.

No worries...I thought I would chime in as it appears others are having a similar experience, although not necessarily being report widely and add some additional details that you had request from others but didn’t seem to get a response. Coming from a software developement background I can relate to how hard it can be to troubleshoot something when you don;t get enough detail or background.

• edited September 5

I am experiencing the same slow pop-up. I thought it coincided with trying to get a dark background and adding a theme, but, I took the theme away and it persisted. There could be a conflict with another extension. Any suggestions would be great.

Edit: I disabled all of the other extensions with no success. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling and hitting the RESET on the themes and added options and that seemed to significantly improve the response. So, I think there is a theme or skin addition issue.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!