Extensions Blog Press Contribute Forum FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support About
Forum FAQ Videos Changelog Bio Contact

Error when reading from canvas is disabled

I care about my privacy so I started my browser (Google Chrome) with --disable-reading-from-canvas option.

Now the extension doesn't handle that and shows this problem:

Error: Failed to execute 'convertToBlob' on 'OffscreenCanvas': Tainted "OffscreenCanvas" may not be exported. at chrome-extension://oeopbcgkkoapgobdbedcemjljbihmemj/js/common.js:5019:30 at new Promise (<anonymous>) at getDataUrl (chrome-extension://oeopbcgkkoapgobdbedcemjljbihmemj/js/common.js:5015:9) at letterAvatar (chrome-extension://oeopbcgkkoapgobdbedcemjljbihmemj/js/popup.js:634:15) at setAccountAvatar (chrome-extension://oeopbcgkkoapgobdbedcemjljbihmemj/js/popup.js:790:35) 

Comments

• thanks for the reporting it,

the letter avatar refers to the circle with the 1st letter of the recipient, i can probably disable this if that option is disabled.

• edited June 19

It is possible to write to canvas. There is no need to read it. Disabling reading from canvas prevents browser fingerprinting, but as I said, writing to it still works as usual.

• Yeah, it's quite possible, i'm always refactoring the code, i'll investigate it with the next round of bug and features.

• Wow, great! You already know that, but JFYI, the reading function that shouldn't be called is HTMLCanvasElement.prototype.toDataURL

• Good news I've fixed this in v22.4

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!