Extensions Blog Press Contribute Forum FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support About
Forum FAQ Videos Changelog Bio Contact

Few changes/suggestions

1. Loving the dark theme but didn't realize it was inverting things until I opened an email and saw the thumbnail... any chance it can ignore images so they are not inverted when using the dark theme?
  2. The buttons shown on the right side when viewing the email, can they be moved or at least arranged as I'd prefer to have Delete and Mark Unread as the main options without needing the click the little arrow to expand the menu.
  3. I've included a screenshot that I hope helps though I figure you likely already know what I meant (hopefully). (I've clicked image and attach so hopefully one of them worked as I see no indication either was successful).

Comments

• Thanks for the screenshot, so I would have you explore the other dark themes as I believe some do re-invert the images.

As for the buttons in Inbox view (vs default Checker Plus view) there are not skins or themes that affect that look, I could star this as a suggestion.

• @Jason That was FAST, didn't expect to get a reply so quickly, thank you.

I tried the other themes but sadly none of them are actually black/white as the one in use which works best for me with my vision issues (only have sight in one eye and somewhat decreased vision in the one that works). I hope the idea to allow the change of the buttons gets attention at some point though I fully understand it is likely not a priority, just appreciate you will consider it.

• Can you indicate exactly which dark theme you are using? you can visit the skins and themes within the extension popup window to verify which one is checked.

• Dark makes the list of emails dark, pretty much everything and has blue buttons which is great, wouldn't mind if the purple text was also blue but haven't tried to edit as I don't want to risk messing it up since it is the only actually dark theme. The Dark/Light isn't really dark except for the menus are made dark but that's not what I'm after. I really hope for a way to use the dark theme so everything is dark but the pictures are not affected.

I have an extension I use that does this perfectly on websites. I tried many such as Dark Reader and it would invert images, then I found Dark Night Mode and it is excellent, makes pages dark but it does not cause images to be affected. I hope there is a way inside your extension for themes to manage colors this way if possible.

I mention these in case it helps to see how they work.

Here is Dark Reader, it inverts image colors: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh?h1=en

Here is Dark Night Mode that doesn't: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-night-mode/bhbekkddpbpbibiknkcjamlkhoghieie?h1=en

Thank you very much for your time on this Jason, truly appreciated.

• Just in case it helps I wanted to add this inverted image issue seems to mainly affect emails from YouTube so the video thumbnails within the emails is inverted but most of not all other images viewed in other emails are not inverted. That may offer no help in figuring out a way to stop it from happening but in case it helps I figured adding this information does not hurt.

• edited May 20

@Jason "As for the buttons in Inbox view (vs default Checker Plus view) there are not skins or themes that affect that look[...]"

I just wanted to jump in and say that the main reason for that being the fact it currently impossible to apply any changes to #shadow-root elements (or I couldn't find one).

• @Erel

So any way you know of the make images within Gmail stop inverting on a per sender or received from email address filter Erel? As shown in my first email the thumbnail is inverted making it hard to see but other inline images from other senders look normal.

• edited May 20

Well @James Wilson, there are a few methods to detect and invert text color, yet currently none of the existing dark themes support it. You can give a try to my new dark theme (which is yet to be part of the actual extension) by adding the following css code into Skins & Themes > Custom:

Make sure to add one of the dark color themes as well.

• @ErelI may have done something wrong (copy/pasted first block of code from link into custom) but I did see a slight change so at least some of what I did worked however the image is still inverted so it looks like a negative (for YouTube emails) but the text using a dark background as shown above works well to make it easier to read. Pics are not critical but it'd be really nice to have them look normal, maybe one day.

Thanks for the reply.

• edited May 20

@James Wilson As I said in the previous comment, you have to make sure to replace the top part with a color palette of any kind. Make sure to follow this comment ("How to use"):

Also, make sure you don't have any other active theme running.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!