Extensions Blog Press Contribute Forum FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support About
Forum FAQ Videos Changelog Bio Contact

cannot open unread email with the button "Open Gmail"

When I click the button "Open Gmail" for an unread email, or the title of that unread email in the preview popup, no messages can be found with "label:newlabelrestart", unless Gmail is already open. This problem has been bothering me since I was forced to switch to the new Gmail several weeks ago. Reinstalling the extension and restarting the browser don't help. 

chrome: Version 70.0.3538.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)
extension: V.21.4

Comments

• I presume you are monitoring the specific label newlabelrestart?
    If an unread email arrives in your inbox does this issue happen?
  • This issue also happens for unread emails in the inbox. And the most interesting thing is that there is no label "newlabelrestart" in my Gmail. 

• Can you send me a screenshot of your accounts/labels options?

• Both accounts are manually added. 
    No label is checked aside from "All mail", for both accounts. 

I guess this has something to do with the conversation view. When I turn on the conversation view (in both Gmail and checker plus settings) for the second account, everything is fine. 

But the issue is still there for the first account because the conversation view is off (in both Gmail and checker plus settings).

Somehow I don't like this conversation view very much because I've tried to delete a single message in one conversation once, but the whole conversation ended up being deleted. So It would be nice to get this issue fixed :-)

• After I turned on the conversation view, the mysterious "newlabelrestart" is still there if I open the unread mail in Gmail through checker plus, so I can not go back to one view which contains this email by clicking the arrow on the top left under the search box. It would go back to "All Mail" for the old version Gmail if I remember correctly. 
  • ok thanks for the details, i'll queue this for investigation
  • It appears that the mysterious "NewLabelMustRestartExtension" only shows up if I check the option "All mail". If I select individual labels (your warm warning pops up at the 6th label :-)), everything comes back to normal. Seems checker plus will simply pretend no label exists if "All mail" is checked.

• I confirm the issue! I also have this problem for a long time (probably a couple of years), and I'm surprised why there's only one mention here and it's not fixed yet.

How it happens: I click the bottom right corner notification, it opens the new email, but it somehow puts label:newlabelmustrestartextension to Gmail search. Then I click Back and have nothing. Please make it keep label:inread when opening a notification.

• @Andrew K This has been an elusive bug because I couldn't replicate it. Perhaps you can give us a new angle on it. Some questions to help us:

Are you using conversation view? https://jasonsavard.com/wiki/Conversation_View_issue

Have you tried restarting the browser?

Have you tried reinstalling the extension?

• edited May 19

Yes, I use conversation view in Gmail.

Yes, I restart the browser many times.

I just reinstalled the extension.

My settings:

Also, the Checker button actually opens Gmail.

But I hate this "newlabelmustrestartextension" thing, because I can not return to my unread mail with Back button and I have to re-open the gmail tab (or push the Checker button again).

I think there's a possibility that it's a gmail bug, not Checker's. But it appears with Checker's notifications.

• ok great screenshot, i can see lots of customization that might be leading to this issue:

Add accounts manually

Open label unread

All mail selected

I suspect it could be related to the combination of open label unread and all mail selected, can you play around with those options to verify.

• @Andrew K ok great screenshot, i can see lots of customization that might be leading to this issue:

Add accounts manually

Open label unread

All mail selected

I suspect it could be related to the combination of open label unread and all mail selected, can you play around with those options to verify.

• OK, I tried.

With these settings

it opens https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?fs=1&source=atom#all/blablablablablablabla and everything is OK.

But I want to check all mail

• @Andrew K ok so the issue is definitely related to the All mail,

did you also check if the "Open label" - Unread has an impact on the issue?

• edited May 19

@Jason "Open label" does not seem to change it.

Another hint: when a notification is about multiple emails, clicking it nicely opens label:Unread in Gmail.

When the email is single, it opens https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#label/NewLabelMustRestartExtension/blablabla

• @Andrew K good stuff, those details will help me investigate.

• edited May 19

@Jason Thanks, hope you can find the bug!

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!