Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos About Contact

Problem with past dates and quick add

I often use the quick add feature in Checker Plus for Google Calendar to add events to my calendar. Sometimes, I add past events (i.e., events that took place prior to today). For the past dates, the quick add feature seems to malfunction, and I am wondering if the problem is a syntax issue or something else.

As an example, if I type "Staff Meeting 8/1/17"in the pop-up Checker Plus calendar, it adds the event on 8/8/17, rather than the intended date of 8/1/17. Any ideas on this behavior?

Comments

• Yes thanks, I have just fixed this issue in the latest version being rolled out, more info about updates https://jasonsavard.com/wiki/Extension_Updates#Partial_rollout_updates
  • Excellent. Thanks so much. I will keep an eye out for the update.
  • Checker Plus v 23.0.1 just installed in my browser, and it appears that the problem remains. I used the example above ("Staff Meeting 8/1/17"), and a calendar entry was created on 8/8/17. Any thoughts?
  • you are correct, I fixed a related issue but triggered when clicking on a date, this one is particular to the quick add feature, good news is i replicated it and fixed it in the code and will push another update with this fix.

Didn't realize so many people add events in the past :)
  • Thanks. Yes, it is not good to spend too much time in the past!
  • I believe that the past date problem remains. Jason, per your comment above, it sounded like a fix was made. Perhaps I misunderstood your comment. Any update on a resolution?
  • Are you using v23.0.4.2
    can you send me the exact test your doing again?
  • I am using v23.0.4. My tests seem to yield inconsistent results. Now when I use my previous example of "Staff Meeting 8/1/17" (entering this info in the Checker Plus pop-up), it does indeed create an appointment on 8/1/17 (the correct date). However, if I type ("Staff Meeting 12/2717", it creates an appointment on 1/3/18 (an incorrect date).
  • edited December 2017
    ok you're right - here the issue let's assume we are Friday. When a user types "lunch wednesday" the event would be added to the past wednesday so I added code to automatically detect anything created in the last 7 days in the past must be intercepted and reschedule to the same day in the future.

Alas this causes the issue when a want to explicitly place an even in the past. Perhaps I could detect the use of slash (/) in the text ie. 12/27 etc. and in such cases ignore the rescheduling rule. what do you think.
  • Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, your idea of recognizing the "/" to ignore the rescheduling rule makes sense and would work for my case.

I understand that every country has unique techniques to write dates. I am in the US, so I often use a slash when writing dates. However, I understand that other countries often use a dash (for example 12-27-17) or a period (for example 12.27.17). I also write the month before the day,  which I know is not terribly common in the world.  So, I know that these differences make coding rules for dates complicated, and subject to user complaint.

I would be very happy if you choose to implement the slash idea. Thanks very much for your consideration.
  • ok i've added the new logic in v23.0.5.1
  • Jason and Charlie:

I also add events in the past 🤣.

I used to be quite disciplined using Harvest for time management on the clock in and clock out basis.

Then I got into trying to integrate Harvest and Google Calendar, which can be quite neat in how it can populate time sheet events very easily based on events in Google Calendar.

But then I started messing around with Zapier automatic triggers and it went horribly wrong. A week in January my Harvest time sheet got populated with 7165 hours 🤣!

It feels like the Google Calendar + Harvest integration idea still can be a good one, but focus on using Google Calendar for quick "clock in" and "clock out" mentions, and then all other more disciplined entries in Google Calendar in between will just be used and imported into Harvest on a manual basis, rather than automatically using Zapier.

To do this efficiently, I would like to add my "clock in" and "clock out" mentions as rapidly and efficiently as possible.

If I, using the extension, write: "clock in today 09am" it works (39 minutes ago as I write this).

This seems to be the quickest method as it stands.

However, using the same logic as when you allow writing "meeting in 21 minutes" and the Extension adds a meeting at 10am,

it could be a nice improvement if I and Charlie could add events in the past just using the trigger word "ago" (is that the right terminology? is "in" your trigger word, if followed by a number? for future events...?).

I suggest implementing a new method/feature whereby "clock in 39 min ago" (method 2) would do the same trick as "clock in today 09am" (method 1).

"But it's the same amount of characters in the two methods!", you say...

Yes, and I now see "clock in today 9am" also works (without the leading "0" in 09am)... so method 1 would be quicker..... 🤦

We could think of using prime (') for minutes, in which case "clock in 39' ago" could be made to work? Which would make method 2 quicker 🤓

In summary, I have found a quick and efficient way (method 1) to add events in the past on the same day, using the "today" trigger and the time in the past, but my suggestion of using the "ago" trigger, and, possibly, the prime (') trigger for minutes, might be useful in some instances.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!