Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos About Contact

Can't edit screenshots based on default zoom on Chrome OS

The screenshot is working but what's displayed in the extension for editing is zoomed which makes editing impossible (see attached screenshot). Once it's saved or uploaded the zoom problem isn't there. (e.g. http://i.imgur.com/8bfBiWM.jpg).

Comments

• edited July 2016
    thanks for the details, this one is perplexing and difficult to debug because I don't have a Chrome OS, can you let me know if the issue happens with ALL the Grab methods?
  • The other methods act strange as well, in different ways. Most of them don't seem to work as expected, at least for me. Do you have a preferred method for me to record them so you can observe?
  • Not really any method is good with me, if you have trouble attaching it you can always find my email via my contact page.
  • https://youtu.be/DeTjMDO1B98

I didn't commentate but can if you need. I ran through each capture option to show what it does. The last part is comparing the uploaded file to the native screen capture result. Happy to do further testing and provide additional feedback, your extension is exactly what I want.
  • edited July 2016
    Looks like Screencastify choked when I selected "Grab visible page", though it shows the zoomed result. Then it chokes again but nothing is missed, just tried to copy an image, when the video returns it shows the copy image feature works.

• very cool, thanks for all that, so one I thing I thought I noticed and if you can confirm when you used the "Open file" method did it open a zoomed in version of that image for editing?
  • Yes, the screenshot file is at a normal resolution but the extension imports it zoomed in.
  • ah interesting, when you're on that editing page, is that page itself possibly zoomed via any Chrome page settings etc.?
  • I haven't noticed the zoom behavior anywhere else. Chrome (signed in as the same user) on a Mac does not have the issue.

Regardless, here's a list of the Chrome extensions and apps installed:
    http://www.googledrive.com/host/0B_d73R719jeMcGdrdUxfTXY3Y2c

• I'm using a Pixel 2 at a resolution of 1600x1062. Though when I adjust the resolution lower and higher it exhibits the same behavior.
  • Do you have the same extensions installed on your Mac also?
    if not - have you tried disabling extensions which might be interfering?
    ...although my guess is this issue is definitely related to your high res machine.
  • The Mac has the same extensions (Chrome keeps them synced). I'll try reproducing the issue on another Chromebook model later today. If the same thing occurs with the signed in browser I'll install your extension on a browser session with no other extensions installed. 
  • First test, using a signed in browser to the same account on a Samsung Chromebook. The grab selected area (http://i.imgur.com/clmlGka.png) and grab visible screen (http://i.imgur.com/dGkWt4Z.png) did not go well. Instead of the zoom issue, the images were both completely distorted. Will try to use a browser with only the Capture, explain.... extension installed next.

• Unfortunately the distorted results from the last test render the next test futile. Logging in with a different account with no extensions other than Capture, explain... yield the same distorted results. But this may be an issue with this Chromebook model rather than an inherent issue with the extension. Either way, if this feedback encourages you to obtain a Chromebook for testing purposes then it was worth it. I'm confident Chromebooks aren't going away anytime soon.
  • Do you have an external monitored connected? if so try without, but at this point all these different issues are leading me to think it's related to the Chromebook model. Unfortunately Windows, Mac and even Linux are more popular than the Chromebook in terms of my user base. So I can't justify buying a Chromebook quite yet for such tests unless Chrome can simulate it sometime soon.
  • None of the tests are with an external monitor. It's unfortunate that I paid for the extension but since I use Chrome OS almost exclusively I won't be able to use it.
  • I can gladly refund you as this one is out of my control.
  • I'd rather pay more to make it work. I use a similar webapp/extension at the office and it's extremely useful. Unfortunately it doesn't work externally. Your extension is the closest thing to it.
  • If I can confirm the issue occurs for all chrome OS then I could target a patch just for it.
  • I might be able to test on one additional (non-Pixel) model at the office if that helps.
  • Good news for you, the problem does not exist on other Chromebooks (tested on the HP Chromebook 14). All capture flows displayed images appropriately. I tested with an account with many extensions and an account without any with the same result. Bad news for me, the issue is specific to the Pixel, which is my main work laptop. :/

It may be worth tracking down the cause or at least keeping an eye on the issue as screen resolutions increase.
  • edited August 2016
    Yay, ok thanks for the thorough investigation and yes this thread and details will help me and others going forth.
  • Same issue on my Macbook pro 13 inch. Suppose it's time for a full refund. :/
  • I have refunded you. But I'd like to solve this issue if possible or determine the exact cause of it. I'm curious why no one else is reporting the issue. Can you try installing other popular screenshot extensions and let me know if they have any similar issues?
  • Are there 2 specific extensions you would trust to compare against? There are a lot in the webstore.

I'm happy to help investigate the cause because I do love the implementation of your extension (though I have ideas for reducing the total clicks) My hunch is this problem relates to screen resolution. The Macbook pro has a retina screen which is a similar high resolution to the Pixel2. I can also play around with the behavior of extensions at different screen resolutions. I just tested your extension on the Pixel2 using a 30" extended monitor and it works, the size matches the original content.
  • Can you execute this javascript line in the Chrome dev console and let me know what it returns.
    • Select the Chrome menu Chrome Menu at the top-right of your browser window, then select Tools > Developer Tools.
    • Right-click on any page element and select Inspect Element.
    • Click Console tab
    • Then execute this line below

<span class="pln" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; color: rgb(48, 51, 54);">window</span><span class="pun" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; color: rgb(48, 51, 54);">.</span><span class="pln" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; color: rgb(48, 51, 54);">devicePixelRatio
    </span>
  • Can I assume all machines with this user agent below and with devicepixelratio = 2 all have the same issue.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS x86_64 8350.68.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/52.0.2743.116 Safari/537.36 en-US
  • The Macbook Pro 13 has the same devicepixelratio = 2. Other details below.
    Google Chrome52.0.2743.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Revision9115ecad1cae66fd5fe52bd9120af643384fd6f3-refs/branch-heads/2743@{#728}
    OSMac OS X 
    Blink
    JavaScriptV8 5.2.361.49
    Flash22.0.0.209
    User AgentMozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) 
  • Also tested each of the resolution options for this Mac and the zoom issue remains with all of them, even the lowest resolution: http://i.imgur.com/YVYyjoV.png
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!