Extensions Blog Press Contribute Forum FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support About
Forum FAQ Videos Changelog Bio Contact

CMD + Q = Mark E-mail read?!

Dear Jason,

whenever I click CMD+Q using Chrome, it now opens a pop-up for your dearest application Checker Plus. Even when there are no GMail windows open.

I tried editing the shortcut but can't get rid of it. It's not on the list.

You wouldn't use the same shortcut that works *absolutely everywhere* as "Quit app" as something else here "Mark as read", would you? So it's a bug?

Anttiimage

Comments

• Did you click the small "x" beside the shortcut key in the keyboard shorcut settings... http://googlesystem.blogspot.ca/2012/08/create-keyboard-shortcuts-for-chrome.html
  • edited December 2013
    No, managed to get rid of it now, thanks to your advice. 

Still, I think such a common app shortcut should not be overridden by something as 'insignificant' as a browser extension, even if it's a good extension.
    I.e. you shouldn't create keyboard shortcuts that already exist. It's almost as you if were replacing CMD+C (copy). 

But thanks. My life is fine again.
  • Interesting debate, because statistically the number of uses who use Mac and AND shortcut keys AND use that precise shortcut key are actually insignificant for my extension's users ...they compromise a mere 2% of my total users.
    To avoid the issue with others though would you recommend I add more details about this "x" in my FAQ page? I presume you clicked the shortcut notification window and it lead you to my FAQ and then the shortcut key page, but I presume at that point it wasn't evident about the "x", is that correct?
  • Statistics, can't fight that. Still, that very same shortcut is, for example, on this educational article:

I was actually browsing the wrong list, I didn't realize I need to acess the Extensions page first. The 'x' didn't matter, the link you sent helped a lot. 

P.S. There's a lot of staff at the FAQ. Are they all really *frequently* asked questions?

Anyway, thanks.
  • Good point about the frequently, but they all have been asked atleast once and I must publish the answers somewhere so that I don't have to manually respond to each users. Were there particular FAQs that you thought irrelevant or what do you suggest I do to clean it up?

ps. I think i'll consider removing that Mac-Q shortcut given that i'm not actually using that mark as read shortcut myself :) the question now is how many others got used to it now before i change it on them :(
  • Ha, I just realized I actually changed the Mac shortcut key a couple of months ago (after some complaints) - and I added a "Shift" key to the sequence so that I wouldn't override the Mac-Q

Now i'm curious why your shortcut key still remained the Mac-Q, how long have you had my extension installed? have you played with the shortcut keys in the past? which version of my extension are you using?
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!