Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos Changelog About Contact English Dark mode
Chrome extensions you can't live without!
Extensions Blog Press Contribute Support FAQ Videos About Contact

Gmail Tasks

124»

Comments

• Yes, please! If you can integrate tasks/keep that would be great.

• It would be great to have google tasks/keep in checker plus! Please integrate when possible.

Thanks Jason for google calendar! I can't use the regular google one, your extension is much better to move events in the timeline.

• edited November 2020

Hi Jason, reading through this thread, it is obvious that there are plenty of people using tasks and reminders in Calendar.

So my question to you is - are you ready to make a definite decision on a) whether to integrate them into Checker Plus, b) put them into another Chrome extension, or c) do nothing.

You have built a terrific set of products for Gmail and Calendar, and it will be a pity if Checker Plus for Calendar continues missing important functionality.

• @WillD So my hesitancy is to add tasks is related to the Chrome extension guidelines wording of a "single purpose" extension:

https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/single_purpose#:~:text=%E2%80%9CSingle%20purpose%E2%80%9D%20can%20refer%20to,%2C%20%22comparison%20shopping%22).

• Hi Jason, thanks for your reply. I've read the 'single purpose' guidelines, and would argue that Checker Plus for Calendar IS (would be with the extra functionality we're talking about) providing the 'single' function of providing a quick easy access to Google Calendar's calendar functions which include events, tasks and reminders - all of which share major similarities and purposes.

The only difference between the three is the nature of the 'event' and the detail recorded for each.

In common, all three have date & time, repeat occurrence, and reminders. If you look at the new item entry in Calendar (in a Chrome browser on a pc), it has one pop-up window with 3 tabs - one for each type (event, task, reminder), which to me confirms that Google sees them in a similar way. Calendar just makes it easier to manage them separately, rather than use events for all 3 types (as I used to).

I really can't see Google splitting hairs over this, since they have integrated the 3 types into Calendar. They don't treat events, tasks, and reminders as separate functions, only as different types of the same calendar function - which is to remind the user when something is supposed to happen.

A calendar, after all, is just a device to record when something is supposed to happen, regardless of whether you classify it as an event, task, or reminder.

• @WillD I understand your point, however, users will inevitably want to manage the tasks: create, delete, check as completed etc. which arguably could be seen as another purpose. There are Google Tasks extension already fulfilling this separate function.

I have to measure the risk of integrating tasks for a few people vs possibly putting the whole extension at risk due to this particular policy.

It's also worth pointing out that I have to request different permissions for a whole set of APIs just for Google Tasks.

If there was an assurance somewhere maybe via a forum thread that I could proceed safely then I would.

• Hi Jason. Surely Google has some process to help you clarify this point? Why not simply tell them what you want to do and see what they say. If the answer is positive, and in writing, then you will get your assurance that you can proceed safely.

Also, I don't think it is just a 'few' users - after all Calendar has integrated the task and reminder functions in with events, so there must be a lot of people using them all. It is a very popular product.

• @WillD There is unfortunately no straightforward path to communicate with Google, I can recommend that those interested in this could write a question on this extension forum https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-extensions and I can follow it to see if there's any "official" response from Google.

• Hi Jason, I have posted on the Google Extensions forum as a reply to your request of the 24th April 2020, repeating pretty much what I've said here.

It's annoying that you didn't get a response from Google. Let's see if anything happens now.

• edited November 2020

@WillD Excellent, I forgot I posted that, here it is for others to star/follow or comment on: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-extensions/c/aIApL72reZY

• That is annoying. Hopefully you are able to hear from them eventually....

• It would be great to have google tasks/keep in checker plus! Please integrate when possible.

• edited April 9

@Boris Kovtunov I am actually beta testing Google Tasks in my extension! Here are the instructions:

1) Force extension update to v27.5.3.1 https://jasonsavard.com/wiki/Extension_Updates

2) Select the Tasks calendar from the extension popup window https://jasonsavard.com/wiki/Visible_calendars_in_popup_window

• edited April 5

Thanks, that seems to work for now. Despite the caution about limited functionality, I actually don't find any problem with the all-day limitation, as tasks aren't by nature time-specific.

Small suggestion would be to change the default/starting color of Tasks to light purple, matching the default/starting Google Calendar linked color.

• edited April 5

@Paul Moon Awesome, how many days have you been testing and have you received notifications for tasks yet? About the default color, it seems Google might actually be setting different default colors for different users, can I ask others what is the default task color you have in google calendar? @Boris Kovtunov (fyi you can change the color in my extension using the left menu)

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
Got it!